Monday, May 21, 2007

Good Grief

As I mentioned before, my best friend is 6 months pregnant. She neglected to tell me this until she was... 6 months pregnant. Partly because she didn't want to tell anyone in her first trimester. Partly because she didn't want to freak me out, since we had been discussing how marriage and kids have caused so many friendships to drift apart.

When I saw her right before I left on my trip, she didn't want to say anything for fear of "ruining my trip." And when she finally told me the week after I got back, she started with the line, "dude, I have some bad news..."

I'm really touched that she's so concerned with my well-being, but I was also stunned and a little sad that she has to worry about not being able to tell me things. Important life changing things.

When I told my mom the news, she of course knew just the right thing to say. "Oh, did she not want to tell you because she was afraid to make you feel bad? Since you're still not dating and you don't have a boyfriend?" And for good measure, she had to repeat it out loud for my dad when he asked why BF had been afraid to tell me. "Oh, she didn't want to say anything because she was afraid to make Whatchamacalit feel bad. Because she's not dating and has no boyfriend." Yup. Mothers. They always know just the right thing to say.

3 comments:

me said...

is this turtle?!?!

Anonymous said...

I would have been disappointed, too, if such a good friend avoided telling me such big news. But, then, the way she began telling you gives me the impression that it's not something she was prepared for. Talking about it was probably hard.

me said...

mothers know exactly where it hurts & they know how to use it.

AND for some reason, they are exempt from the "hitting below the belt" rule. that's precisely why they aren't allowed to box in the ring. yup, that must be it!