Monday, October 20, 2008

A Woman Needs A Man... Like A Fish Needs a Bicycle...

Well I guess I don't really need a man, but I do like him around. And I'm no fish, but I thought it was high time to tackle learning how to ride a bicycle.

It only took me two years to hit this resolution , but yesterday, ride I did. After the bf patiently taught (forced) me to unhook the front tire and load the bike into my car, he watched me ride over and over in circles at the Santa Monica DMV. While moms were warily practicing with their kids, and husbands were teaching their wives to drive, I donned a crash helmet and staked my claim of the empty parking lot, as he nervously yelled for me to stay away from the cars and stop veering too far away from our little section.

Throughout most of my life, this is how I felt about bicycles:What I've discovered is that it's easier and harder than I thought. Easy to just jump on the bike and ride around in circles on a nice smooth flat surface. Hard when there's any kind of incline, precision steering, or obstacles (trees, poles, people, cars, etc) in the way. As soon as I tried to steer around a rocky incline in the front of the DMV, I fell over and steered into a small palm tree. Ah well, practice practice practice...

1 comment:

me said...

i'm so proud of you. i've somehow become afraid of bikes & it's not true that you don't forget! i forgot!