Thursday, May 25, 2006

Chi-Town



They call it the City of Big Shoulders. Is it because it's known as one of the fattest cities in the US? There certainly are enough steakhouses around to feed everybody! Yum...

Anyway, I love this town. Tall beautiful buildings, like the Wrigley Building pictured above, H&M shopping, delicious food, and wonderful museums. There is a great Leonardo da Vinci exhibit going on at the Museum of Science and Industry, where they built several of his inventions. They also have original manuscripts from his notebooks!

My brother indulged me by driving me throughout Chicago as we ate our way through the city. There was Scooter's Frozen Custard, creamier and smoother than any ice cream or gelato I've ever had, Gino's East deep dish pizza, the best tapioca mango freezes at Joy Yee's Noodles, and a great little sandwich chain named Potbelly's that kicks Quizno's ass. Potbelly's even has musicians playing. This particular one we went to, they stuck the poor guy up in the rafters.



Here are two other buildings I loved - big recognizable names such as Bloomingdale's and McDonald's, but not your usual building structure.




Tried to tag along to my brother's business school class, but was strongly shut down by my mortified brother. Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House is across the street from the business school, but they only had guided tours for $12. No wandering around at your own pace kind of deal. Because the guy at the Robie House bookstore was rude to me and on principle, I refused to pay that much to tour the house and settled for taking a picture of it.



It's my third time in Chicago, and I'm still not sick of it. It's one of the places I don't tire of visiting, like New York, San Francisco, Paris... :) Can't wait to go back next year for my brother's graduation!

No comments: