Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Trouble With Dreams

Annoying buggers, they wake me up at night like a bad neighbor practicing the drums or saxophone. At least once a night, usually twice. I can't remember the last time I slept 8 hours straight. Everyday I wake up tired.

Most of the time, the dreams evaporate as quickly as I wake up and fall back asleep. Other times I remember the culprits that wake me up.

Last week, I dreamt I was driving, just about to rear-end the car in front of me. At the sound of the nerve wracking crunch of impact, I woke up to the sound of my neighbor slamming her front door, coming home at 3 in the morning. Freaky.

A couple of hours later, I woke up again - after a rousing and ineffectual game of tennis, with a large loofah sponge as a racket. The realization of using the completely wrong tool for the game (duh!) woke me up. Puzzling.

The worst kinds of dream? The ones that leave me feeling sad or upset, lingering for the rest of the day like a bad perfume. Like the one earlier this week when I dreamt that Mr. DD was dating someone new. I didn't even think it would bother me as much in real life as it did in the dream life. Frustrating.

I miss a good night's sleep and wonder when it will come back to me. For now, I continue playing the part of Zombie Whatchamacalit. Yawn.....

2 comments:

me said...

i like the loofah sponge one! i'm sorry you aren't sleeping well. i hope this weekend is better for you!

Anonymous said...

Weird. I don't think I've ever seen a loofah, but it's almost like I've infiltrated your dreams. Close, anyway.

Do you think there's a correlation between your dreams and all of the shows you've been watching? All of that stimulation has got to have an impact on your dreams.

Get some good sleep, Zombie Whatchamacalit. And don't let them leave you feeling sad!