Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

How do you stop caring or worrying about someone who doesn't want you or need you? It's completely ludicrous.

Beat down from the physical and mental exhaustion of work over the past year, Mr. DD finally broke down. He's been sick for over a week and couldn't summon the will to work anymore. So he's taking a four week break effectively immediately. To recuperate and do absolutely nothing. Which is great and all but something that could have been prevented if he had taken better damn care of himself and pushed back on taking too much work.

Watching him day in day out get the life sucked out of him is not a fun thing. Even if we're not dating. Even if we're barely friends. Even if he's given me absolutely no reason to waste my time caring or worrying at all. And yet, there was still a pang of worry, a smidgen of missing his presence, and the realization that I'm still not there yet - the point where I won't bat an eye if he left forever.

My only consolation is that this will be the longest amount of time that I won't have to see him. And then, after he comes back for a couple of weeks, I will be off for 3 weeks for my own vacation. The best kind of therapy - pure absence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. A break can definitely help. I can hardly imagine how you coped with seeing him each day.

misocrazy said...

How weird. I'm going through something similar with my ex (even tho we broke up TWO YEARS AGO, wtf). Breaks are definitely a good idea. Travel, too.