Monday, May 12, 2008

Songs to Fit the Mood

Lately, whenever I was feeling down about the bf I noticed that these two songs would jump out in my playlist.

Sleeper's "What Do I Do Now?"


During the prime of britpop in the 90's, I listened to this in college all the time and every time the story in this song just broke my heart. A fun catchy beat, but underneath it, a sad song about how self doubt and miscommunication can destroy a relationship and lead to regrets. It was also one of the anthem songs for my childhood best friend, dealing with the fallout from her college boyfriend whom I never met but feel like I know so well...

Then there's Sarah McLachlan's "Do What You Have To Do" which captures the end of a relationship, when you're trying to desperately salvage what you can. I loved this album, but never noticed this particular track until Vaj pointed it out to me as one of his favorites.



Wavy threw this one my way the other day and it made me all melancholy. I saw Teitur open for John Mayer years ago and sent his music around to everyone. This one is about the trials and tribulations of a long distance relationship.

Teitur "I Was Just Thinking"

"Wavy," I asked, "do they have a song about two people who really love each other but seem to keep hurting each other and not sure how to make it work?"

"Yes, they have those too," she wisely answered. And now this lovely pop hit is on repeat on my itunes.

Leona Lewis "Bleeding Love"




No comments: