Thursday, August 02, 2007

Must Be a Martyr Complex

UBBF recently sent me this article on women who fall for jerks. As entertaining and logical as it was, it got me thinking. Yes, I do fall in some of those patterns, yes I like taking care of people, and yes even if there's a glimpse of hope for salvation, I'll hold onto it like a mouse to cheese. I think I'm getting better at recognizing this and shaking it, but it often led to tough love from other friends.

Such as the time Wavy bought this book for me as a joke Christmas gift, in the waning days of the great Boy depression of 2005. Unfortunately it was too soon and when I unwrapped the gift, I gasped and maybe squeaked, not unlike the sound my old dog would make when one of us accidentally stepped on his paw when he tried to run in between our legs.

I never read the book -it was just too painful - but lent it to several other friends for perusal. It kind of leers at me from the bookshelf, in it's bright obnoxious pink cover. It taunts me and dares me to read it but I'm not sure anymore if it's just a reminder of a bad time in my life or if I'm past being lectured to by some stand-up comedian about common sense. Until I decide what to do with this book and whether I'll ever read it, I moved it to another bookshelf away from my frequent line of sight. And put some cute little toys in front of it.

No comments: