Sunday, September 30, 2007

Another Fun Quirky Movie

Last week, I managed to walk out of work somewhat early to see a sneak preview of Dan In Real Life with Sly. There are some slight continuity problems, but overall, it was a really cute and funny movie. Everyone laughed out loud just enough, and we could all connect at an emotional level to the characters even if you couldn't empathize with the main characters.

I was never a huge fan of Steve Carell but after Little Miss Sunshine, catching some episodes of The Office, and now this movie, I'm impressed. He's like the next Tom Hanks, Jim Carrey, Greg Kinnear... All expressive with the puppy dog eyes, all comic restraint, and all manchild-like though slightly more man than child in these recent roles.

I love these ensemble cast movies where the chemistry between all the actors are vital to the movie. Just like one of my all time favorites, Playing By Heart (something I've made almost all of my friends watch). The next one I'm looking forward to is Feast of Love. It's about time the giant splashy summer blockbusters are done for the year and we can look forward to the quieter introspective movies they start throwing out from now till Christmas to make the Academy Awards season. That and the new TV season starting, I have more than enough escapist pleasure to get me to 2008.

No comments: