Saturday, September 08, 2007

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo

That demented fairy godmother of mine is sure getting her jollies in. On the life changes front, in just one day, the wedding count and baby count each went up by one for next year. And no, those weren't linked together either.

On the boy front, another new person joined our company last month. And I kid you not, he has the same name as The Boy, resembles the one I dated AFTER the Boy in height, lanky build, shortly cropped hair and plethora of tattoos, and hails from the same town as my favorite loner - dubbed the "uber work boy" by Wavy. With the temporary absence of our pseudo HR guy/welcoming wagon, I was asked to show him around and get him set up on my project for his first week. My initial reaction when I met him? "You have got to be kidding me." Though Wavy's parting advice was "Stay away. Like ten foot pole." this one has turned out to be nice and harmless, though separated from his wife and trying to work that out. Yikes.

Because THAT still sounds too simple, there is also someone else. A very sweet, seemingly shy nice guy who asked me out to go hiking. But he's also a part of the influx of new guys at work. AND he's a good friend of The Boy - that's how he got here. On top of the rational and emotional reasons of why this is a bad idea, there is also the shallow one. He's short. Wavy has dubbed this fellow Captain Three Strikes.

Now any of these reasons by themselves I could probably overlook. But all three together? I dunno. It's been a tough one to balance as things swing back and forth in my head.

He makes me laugh by randomly IMing me throughout the week with funny things to say. And he promised to sing me Milli Vanilli songs one day.

Then he mentions how much he misses The Boy and how they used to chat everyday. Erf.

I declined hiking on account of the heat and having other plans over the holiday weekend and he says "ok, you let me know when you are free, whenever you want." When I mention that his project is getting really busy and he seems to have to work every weekend anyway, he replies "No I won't. Anything for whatchamacalit." Awwwww

Then it turns out he's moving in to live with another coworker that I've known since I started there. As if there weren't enough hurdles on privacy as it is. Ack.

He gives me just enough space. He doesn't sit near me and we're not on the same projects (yet) so I can go days without really noticing him. But at least once a week, he'll pop up on the radar with a whimsical comment like "whatchamacalit rocks!" No more. No less. Er ok. :)

If there is a game being played here, he's playing it well. But I'm wary. Wary of ignoring all those hard earned lessons of not dating people from work. Wary of inadvertently letting The Boy back into my life second-hand. Wary of turning another "nice guy" into a jerk. Because that seems to be my gift/curse.

I took Wavy and M. Night's advice to invite him out to a group thing, and decided to have him join our merry crew for the Griffith Observatory last week. But I'm no closer to any decisions. Obviously, I enjoy having someone treat me well and behaves so nicely toward me - I don't take that for granted. But the rational, wary side of me screams so much louder these days.

No comments: