Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Irony, Like in the Alanis Song Kinda Way

At the recent farewell party for my boss, someone told me a story about her coworker meeting someone from my work through Match. They went out only on one date but we marveled at how small the dating circles were despite LA being so vast. We also giggled at the fact that this guy from my work, thought of as so socially awkward and annoying at work, was still functional enough to date online. Mean, I know, but we couldn't help it.

Curiosity and voyeurism finally got the best of me. My mischievous married friend had created multiple fake accounts for window shopping on Match. She liked to scope out the competition for friends who were using Match and also help look for eligible possibilities she would approve of. Normally, I steer clear of the whole thing and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. But she gave me her fake account password, showed me our mutual friends' accounts and taught me how to window shop.

Since I'd heard that many of my coworkers used Match to meet their girlfriends, I decided to see just which ones were in there. Surprise, surprise, many many guys in my industry in there, but only two of my coworkers. (I guess the ones who got girlfriends, wisely removed their profiles.) One guy was the one we giggled about at the party. The other was my favorite loner who sits next to him. And his profile said he was online RIGHT NOW.

Interestingly enough, three of the photos he posted were ones I took of him. Guess he's not so much of a loner after all. Oh, the things you learn on a random Tuesday night...

Gawd, this is also another reason why unless I moved into a whole other city where I didn't know anyone, say... Fargo, ND, I would be too mortified to use online dating since it's especially prolific in my industry of geeks. I'm the only single girl at my work in the same age range as these boys. I would melt into a puddle of embarrassment if anyone from work saw my profile and said anything. Hell, I won't even tell them what the middle initial in my name stands for! If anyone found my blog, I'd prefer them to stay quiet and keep it to themselves, lest I have to shut the whole thing down.

So now, even though the lyrics don't quite fit the occasion, I have the Beatles song Do You Want to Know A Secret stuck in my head. I'm afraid I'll blurt something stupid out to him like "I just heard from friends, that people use Match for summer flings while Yahoo Personals are for hookups." Or better yet, in a weak mischievous state, create a profile that matches his exactly. Just for fun. Me and my demented sense of humor. Must. practice. restraint.

No comments: