Monday, August 07, 2006

Unraveled

That's how I felt like last week. Everything felt wrong, everything was broken, I couldn't keep my head above water, and all kinds of minutiae stressed me out. I know that these phases are cyclical. I can see the descent when it starts and I take solace that eventually I get out of it. The up and down is exhausting, but today seemed to be a brighter day.

Though I felt like dying when I dragged my sleepy ass out of bed to go running again (after a 2 week sabbatical), it did start my day out on the right foot. I couldn't ditch work like I wanted (wish I wasn't so damn responsible) but the thought of a relaxing evening comforted me. Things I thought were broken (my Ipod ear buds, the audio on my TV, the wireless mouse for my laptop) merely had loose connections, needed rebooting or new batteries. At work, people left me alone for a good portion of the day, allowing me to get much of my work done while listening to my Ipod. The complaining and the venting were at a minimum (I guess it's only Monday, how much can go wrong already?), there were no meetings, and the weather was wonderful.

Last week, I spent time with different close friends each day. Never a group more than the 2 or 3 of us and each friend managed to help me gain some perspective and comfort. I realize that's what makes me happiest - being around my close friends and my brother, spending quality time with just them.

Oh, and of course ice cream. That makes me happy too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about going through phases. They don't get easier, but at least they become more recognizable, so you can at least tell when they're coming and going and be familiar with the drill.

I'm glad this week started out well for you.