Monday, August 28, 2006

Boys and Girls

Girls who are boys
Who like boys to be girls
Who do boys like they're girls
Who do girls like they're boys
Always should be someone you really love

- Blur

This particular song got me hooked on the band Blur, way back in college. It popped in my head the other day when one of coworkers, whom I'll call The Brit, confided to me about how distraught he was over another coworker's inexplicable snubbing. The snubber, whom I'll call The Swede, sits right next to The Brit and even lives in the same apartment building. They started at the company around the same time, seemed like friendly sort of people, and often The Swede would drive The Brit to and from work as The Brit didn't drive.

For some reason, about a month ago, The Swede stopped talking to The Brit, and though The Brit confronted him a couple of times, asking what the problem was, The Swede would always say "Nothing," and continue the obvious snubbing. I could understand The Brit's frustration with the not knowing, but also understood, with the painful wisdom I've acquired over time, that there isn't much more he can do if The Swede won't fess up to what's on his mind.

The only odd thing was that this was between two guys. Maybe I'm missing something here (They're both gay and it's a love affair gone awry? Doubt it, I'm just projecting.) but I thought guys usually just confronted each other with a "Dude, what's your problem?", said their peace and moved on. I've been snubbed by immature boys, snubbed my fair share of intolerant girls, and vice versa on both accounts. But I've never heard of this happening with two guys quite like this.

On one hand, I really felt The Brit's pain. On the other hand, I thought "You guys are like petty girls. This is ridiculous." I knew I couldn't step in to do anything on a personal level or even a professional level unless it affected their work performances. I felt helpless.

Then The Brit confessed that it really annoyed the hell out of him when The Swede would turn around and chat it up with everyone else around him, how the whole situation just made things so uncomfortable at work. And I thought,
"Boy, you have no idea... Why don't you go and make out with him, and then come back to me about uncomfortable."

No comments: