Tuesday, August 01, 2006

You Gotta Fight, For Your Right...

to a tennis court!

After another rough work day, I texted my brother in the evening. "Wanna play tennis? I want to hit something tonight." And amazingly enough, he called me immediately and said yes.

We tried another set of public courts to see if the poaching situation would be any better. Unfortunately, it was only marginally better. We still waited a good half hour and this time decided to stand in the middle of two courts to claim whichever one opened up first.

A little while later, another girl and boy walked in, looked at us, and said "which court are you waiting for?"
"Whichever one opens up first. We've been waiting here for half an hour." I warily answered.
"Well, I thought you're supposed to wait for one court only. Can you choose one so that we can wait for the other one?" the girl asked.
Before I could say "Back off, beeyotch," my brother wisely answered "It seems like everyone else is waiting by sections, since the courts are sectioned off by two."
"Well, what if I don't feel like being everyone else?" the girl whined/mumbled to her friend.

We looked away and replied with silence, leaving her to her useless petulance. They backed off and my brother and I grinned at each other at our 2nd official weekly victory of claiming a tennis court.

"You know..." he said, "If we couldn't play, I would have just as much fun making it miserable and ruining everyone else's game by throwing balls at them or stealing them. If I can't play, no one can."

And this, this is why I love being around my brother.

We played till I could barely lift my arm anymore. It was great!

No comments: