Thursday, August 24, 2006

Another Day, Another Hour

My goal of leaving an hour earlier each day, especially before the cleaning crew got there and turned on all the harsh overhead fluroscent lights was achieved today! I got out of there before 9. Whoo hoo! Never thought I would relish sitting on my sofa, watching TV, eating a frozen pizza, and reading fluffy magazines so much.

I'm so tired, I barely remember what I did at work today. I remember running around a lot. And worrying about two of my coworkers. One has been suffering from chest pains and had to go to the emergency room yesterday. His wife recently lost her dad so is understandably distraught.

I also got my new credit card delivered to work today. While I was living it up in Hawaii, some whatchamacalit wannabe was charging up a storm in South Carolina with a credit card fashioned under my name. Luckily the great folks at MBNA took care of it all. I stressed for about 2 seconds when they told me about the "unusual activity" on my card, figuring it was because I was charging things in Hawaii, not even bothering to call them back until my card was declined Tuesday.

Surprise surprise, they told me there was nothing I could have done about it. Most likely someone somewhere who had handled my credit card transaction got the information off the magnetic stripe, my name, the card numbers... Fortunately, the only thing I'll have to worry about is contacting the places where I have automatic monthly charges like the Y or the cable company and update them with my new card information. Credit card fraud security rocks.

Two things that made me laugh about the whole thing - 1) I kept imagining that credit card fraud commercial where these people are talking with completely different voices. I highly doubt that the wannabe southerner looked liked someone with a whatchamacalit last name like mine. 2) When the nice lady at MBNA started going over my latest charges to verify what was actually mine, it went something like this. Coffee Bean, Coffee Bean, Starbucks, Sprinkles Cupcakes, Panini Cafe, In N Out, Susina Bakery, Coffee Bean... She chuckled. "Yeah I like food. And coffee," I told her. But she already knew that since they're doing a great job monitoring my spending habits to catch those wannabes!

No comments: