Tuesday, December 05, 2006

All's Fair In Love and Parking

I wish I were meaner. Because if I were, I would have run over the girl's foot, which was unjustly in the way of my parking spot.

Wavy ran into the pizza place to order some dinner for me while I looked for a place to park. There was a prime spot right in front of the restaurant and a diminuitive college student standing in the prime spot, obviously holding the space for one of her friends. I started backing into the space and she waved her tiny hands at me, as if that would stop me. I glared at her, mouthed "no, you can't do that." and continued backing the car in. She kept smiling at me and waving her hands, refusing to budge. Another boy ran into the spot to support her, also smiling and waving his hands at me.

Fantastic. I can run over his feet too.

There was a standoff for a good two to three minutes, as I yelled at them and tried to keep reversing. We were causing a scene. People from the restaurant stared at us. For once, I longed for a cop to come by and do something good for a change, like yell at these kids for me. I debated about how close I could nick them with my car before it was considered a crime. Their punk friends finally showed up and drove straight into the spot, adding to my rage.

I realized that 1) I would have tried to save a parking spot for a friend by standing in it but 2) I would have chickened out and moved out of the way if someone tried to take the spot and yelled at me 3) I'm not mean enough to key someone's car or run over their foot but 4) I really wish I could. Maybe life would be a little bit better if my id ran loose every so often and people feared me as the "unhinged" one. I can only dream.

No comments: