Saturday, December 30, 2006

Reflections In My Flannel Pajamas Pt 2

There's little over a day left in 2006 and I feel somewhat at peace about my friendships. The most important thing I've learned about friendships in the past year and a half, is learning to let go for my own peace of mind.

For most of my life, I operated under the notion that every friend I met was absolutely a friend for life. And I stayed in touch through decades and tried to be the best friend I could be with everyone, short of them shooing me away with a broom. It was exhausting and unnecessary.

It's sad to let go of people who are part of your history, who had a hand in shaping you and hold a piece of you with them at all times, whether they know it or not. They are irreplaceable. As old friends fall away, less and less people know the real you - the reasons behind the quirks, the because's behind all the why's, the original unjaded, noncynical and unbroken you.

But I know now that it's beyond any person's control why some friends stick and why others don't. Why some are nostalgic and loyal while others forge ahead alone or with a brand new crew. No guilt, no regret, and no more sadness for friends of yore. That is resolution number one for the new year.

No comments: