Friday, December 15, 2006

Holiday Movies

When I was at the mouse-eared company, two other coworkers and I decided to form our own movie club. A movie club devoted to watching sappy romantic chick flicks so that we wouldn't have to drag unsuspecting victims, like boyfriends, to movies such as The Notebook or Save the Last Dance (our inaugural movie choice).

We don't get to meet up once a month anymore since some of us have moved on to different companies and have different hours. However, we'll still try to meet up for dinner monthly and pick a good movie to watch together at least once a year. Last weekend, it was The Holiday.

I knew it was a romantic comedy about two women swapping homes in England and LA to get away from the heartache of their their failed relationships but Wavy had given me a bit more of an in depth heads up. Apparently, when she watched the opening and listened to Kate Winslet's narration, she went "Whatchamacalit?! Is that you?"

Still, I was unprepared for just how much the writers got it. And how well Kate Winslet conveyed it. Without giving away too much of the movie, let's just say the pit of my stomach dropped out a couple of times and I wept throughout the movie. It was a swift kick to the gut in the best way possible. I wasn't so much crying from the sadness, it was more of the relief that someone else, and possibly many someone elses actually felt that way one time or another. My heart physically ached for her character and ached at the past experiences which made me feel like a sopping mess.

One of the girls I was with stifled a laugh and shook her head at me when the movie started. She too, had gone through the same experience with me years ago. We all loved the movie and had a wonderful time, but the best part was being able to cry and laugh about it with friends who understood why.

No comments: