Sunday, November 05, 2006

The First Long Run

I survived it. We ran/walked 8 miles through Griffith Park, past the Warner Brothers Lot in part of Toluca Lake, past the Disney lot in Burbank, past an Equestrian Center with smelly horse poop, and through Glendale back into Griffith Park.

Everything below my waist aches. And for some strange reason, my hands have been tingly all day.

BUT, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Despite the little bouts of panic attacks this week including one yesterday morning, when the power went out and the smoke alarm started beeping at 7 in the morning. I woke up freaking out that I had to wake up that early this morning and train for a 13 mile run.

The pace group was great, the scenery was nice, and there seems to be a peculiar population of people who run. In the mornings. On a Sunday morning. In packs. All around Griffith park. AND they're so encouraging! They cheer and clap when our groups run by each other, like we're all bonded in this masochistic activity we've all committed to doing together. I'm definitely experiencing a different slice of life. One that also includes me downing a couple of Motrin now before I pass out on my bed for the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent job! Runners are a strange bunch. It must have felt great when you finished.

Anonymous said...

By the way, about your tingly hands, I get something similar with my fingers and toes. They sometimes feel numb for a long time afterwards. I'm guessing it's poor circulation, but I haven't seen a doctor yet. I may bring it up at my next checkup.