Thursday, November 30, 2006

Playing Hooky

I woke up at 7:30 today with intentions for my last run before the half marathon. Unfortunately, it was too cold to get out of bed. And I was too tired from sleeping so late. And because I couldn't get up to go run, I figured why bother getting up to go to work? I deserved a day off and have two more sick days to use before the end of the year.

Not seeing me online all morning, Wavy called me at about 11:30 to see if I was dead or alive, then invited me to lunch and a day of shopping. What perfect timing! It was like a mini vacation.

We marveled at how crowded the Century City shopping center was, and wondered who these people were who lunched at Bloomingdale's on a Thursday afternoon. Lots of retired folks, well-off housewives with their kids, perhaps grad school students, and people playing hooky from work like us? And why is the interior of my apartment even colder than the outdoors??!

The best part of the day happened when we were trying on clothes at the Banana Republic. Wavy tried on a lovely red holiday dress while I tried on jeans. Being the close friends that we are, and having the dressing rooms all to ourselves, we momentarily forgot that we weren't in the privacy of our homes.

As I noted the bad cut of the dress around her chest, she checked out my butt in the jeans (THIS is why you need great friends with you when trying on clothes, especially jeans.) Circling around me to thoroughly check out every angle, Wavy went above and beyond the call of duty. As she stared intently at my behind, the saleslady walked in and started laughing her head off, asking "Is there something to see over there?" and bent down to check me out too. "Luckily, no guys walked in on you two in the hallway, or else you would have made their day!" I'm sure we made her day though.

Such a fun day, but back to running, baking to stay warm and working tomorrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your run tomorrow! And get to bed early tonight so you don't miss it! :-)