Friday, November 10, 2006

VIP

I have the coolest friends. On Wednesday, my Spelling Bee friend, treated me to a Clippers game at the Staples Center. Usually, I'm a Lakers fan and I've been to a few games years ago, but watching any sports game live is pretty fun. (Well, except football and golf. Bleh.)

The difference with this game was the fact that the tickets belonged to her company's general counsel - season tickets in the premiere/suites level. I may sound like a country bumpkin, but on that level, waitresses come to take your order and bring you food while you watch the game. There is a restaurant on that level where you can actually dine at a table while watching the game. There are secret passageways that lead you to the different levels and the exits quickly without having to mingle with the masses. All you have to do is flash your golden ticket. It amazes me that from the get-go, the architects of the Staples Center clearly had a "haves" and "have-nots" mentality when it came to the arena's design.

I couldn't stop gushing about how great this experience was to my Spelling Bee friend. Though she usually left before the end of every game to beat the crowds, I even managed to get her to stay until two minutes to the end, when I knew the Dallas Mavericks would not be able to make up a 12 point deficit against the Clippers. For a night, thanks to my dear friend, I felt like a VIP - a "have" if you will. Just another atypical Wednesday night in a day of my life.

No comments: