Thursday, June 22, 2006

Spelling and Singing

My childhood friend, the first friend I met when I moved out to LA when I was 8, got roped into participating in a spelling bee for charity. She invited me to go based on the fact that we were competitive little nerds way back when and because I could vouch for her intelligence if she misspelled a simple word. Unfortunately, even though I got to the venue minutes after the scheduled start time, she was already out. Done in by the word "occurrence." "Two r's," she said. Though I couldn't watch her on stage, my spelling friend proceeded to spell every other word out to me as they read them to the contestants. Yup, she's still smart!
So we blew the joint after the rest of her company flunked out and headed over to Palm Tree LA in Ktown. Her old law firm was hosting a karaoke night for their summer associates and her friends were in charge of shepherding those 2nd year law school younglings around all summer. For us, it was free dinner and entertainment.
"Maybe you'll meet a boy," she remarked.
"A boy younger than my brother?" I replied.
We parked ourselves in a prime spot at the table, chowing down on chicken wings and dukboki while the summer associates sang their little hearts out. The Speller had to work for our free meal - she mingled amongst the hopeful associates while I sat back and watched how fresh and unworn-down from law they were.
It was refreshing to hang with non-creative industry people for a change, a roomful of outgoing, A-type personalities, unlike the usual scattered-brained, moody lot I see all the time. I THOUGHT OF actually making an effort to chat and mingle, but my shy and lazy nature got the best of me. It was a huge effort on my part to even go to an event like this. This is me half-heartedly going out, trying new things, possibly meeting new people.... (baby steps!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've always wanted to do a spelling bee. too bad my spelling is going now with my memory... i had realized while working with two people in high school journalism (one being our very own shrewlady) that spelling came easily to me. i used to tease her that she spelled like that other poor speller (the tijuana cab service).

Anonymous said...

baby steps are good! i hear ya about it being refreshing to explore different circles. by the way, i'm just now learning that saying "hello" might be the best pickup line ever.