Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Movies galore

The Asian in me could not pass up the deal. $2.50 each for unlimited rentals at Blockbuster?! Wheeeeee! So I've been renting to my little heart's content. Horror films for my mom, romantic comedies and dramas for me...

Mom's review:
The Ring 2 - "it was ok"
The Eye 2 - "stupid"
Exorcism of Emily Rose - "I'll give it 2 stars. Maybe 1 1/2 stars. Best of the bunch."
Wolf Creek - "STOOOOPID... Your dad and I fastforwarded through it. What stupid people. Based on a true story? Such stupid people existed?"

You can't pay me to watch horror films so I rent them for mom based on critics's and friends' recommendations. Nothing scares my mom. She's been watching old Japanese horror films since she was a kid and apparently none of these modern day films measure up. She will grudgingly give some props to The Shining, Exorcist, Poltergeist, Amityville, and the original Halloween and Friday the 13th. Recommendations anyone?

My review:
Elizabethtown - My mind started wandering. Crowe's musical choices for his movies are still fun.
Just Like Heaven - Super cute! Plus I love Mark Ruffalo.
Saving Face - Highly recommended!!!! Joan Chen looks amazing and the relationships are so well developed!
Proof - Also very good. Gwyneth as an intellectual plain Jane. Jake Gyllenhaal is always hot... yes even as a gay cowboy.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Only girls will love it. But also lovely to watch
Fever Pitch - I love Drew Barrymore in romantic comedies. Though this movie is not as continuously funny as I thought it would be.
Hitch - Funny and perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon. Though I had a hard time buying the ending between Will Smith and Eva Mendes
Squid and the Whale - A little sad, a little quirky. But then divorce always is. All the actors were great in it! Especially the little boy.
Vanity Fair - Long movie. Beautiful art direction. And Reese Witherspoon is amazing in it.
Last Holiday - Queen Latifah rocks.
Serenity - I was a fan of the TV show and Joss Whedon. So it's like visiting an old friend. Still watching right now... The cat seems to be watching intently and enjoying it.

On a side note, my stereo system and new TV rock, especially for action movies like Serenity. (I know, I'm such a boy...) The surround sound, special FX, and action sequences have already caused me to jump out of my seat a couple of times. Heart is still racing. Ahhhhhh, they're worth every penny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my DREAM is to sit my counterpart down with your mom for a horror movie marathon! i know they will get along & enjoy it, but i just have figure out how to ease/trick them into the initial weirdness of the idea of it.

maybe when we have a house over in california, i'll invite you & your mom over for lunch & then we can ditch then with some dvd's. we'll have to do some emergency errand. ha ha ha.