Sunday, June 04, 2006

Local Tourist


It's too hot to live. Anything over 75 degrees is no good for me. How I survived in Phoenix as a child, I don't know. But right now, I have every single door and window open in the sauna that is my air-conditioning deprived apartment. I'm thisclose to just walking around nekkid, modesty be damned.
Anyway, been trekking out and about all day, playing the local tourist. I joined SLY on a free metro art tour of the LA redline and finished it all before lunch. Impressed with this lazy sleeper? We started at Union station where Lucille and Dan provided commentary and led us through the Gateway Transit Center, which manages all public transit in LA.

Art Deco-like lighting fixtures in the GTA.



On the way down to the Red Line, there is a hypnotizing light piece called "Atrain" by Bill Bell. If you watch the different lighting configurations, you're supposed to be able to see and hear a train, taxi and famous faces. I only saw a train.



So we finally get to ride the Metro. Wheeeee! My first time riding on the LA subway system! Right away I notice that
1) it is super clean
2) no rats scurrying about in the tracks
3) it's really quiet down there




This is probably the reason why. There's no smoking, eating, drinking, littering, gum chewing, gum spitting, skateboarding, rollerblading, razorscootering, music playing, nor loud talking allowed. Subject to $250 and 48 hours of community service. Sheesh.






My favorite piece on the tour is "Into the Light" by Therman Statom. It's the pieces suspended in the skylight of the Westlake/Macarthur Park station, pictured at the very top. Beautiful as the MacArthur Park area is during the daytime, it's also the Rampart district. Lucille warned the women on the tour not to come here at night because of the rampant drug dealing - this used to be the area where Shrewlady prosecuted pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers. How lovely to see her old workplace...



Some aspiring musicians waiting for the next train.








Last stop of the tour, Hollywood and Vine. This is the interior of the station - no joke. Film reels cover all of the ceilings.


By then, I was starving and ready to head back to Union station. SLY and I trekked over to Chinatown for some quick takeout dimsum and boba tea. We walked along Broadway where I bumped into a distant relative (go figure) and managed to whip out enough Chinese from who knows where for a quick conversation. I think she's my mom's brother's wife's sister, or something like that. She didn't even know my mom's name, only her birth order and title! "Ninth sister." haha! Gotta love the Chinese formality of names and titles.
After we headed our separate ways, I made a quick jaunt through some shopping plazas. My peoples has really stepped up with the trendy shops! Munky King is like the Chinese version of the Giant Robot store. Cool toys and uber friendly staff that greet everyone with a loud shout "WELCOME TO MUNKY KING!!!" But don't mention the GR word around them. They pouted at me in mock indignation. Next door was another fun novelty shop Realm. I definitely need to go back and explore some more, maybe on a less sweltering day, say October.
I also managed to see my friend's ballet recital and run some errands, including picking up a pair of new hiking shoes. I'm exhausted! I've decided that if the metro ever came out to West LA, I'd try to use it. I really like the idea of subways, even if I feel dirty riding on public transportation. Kinda like how I really like the idea of camping, hiking, carpooling, eating healthy, and having a boyfriend, even if it's the wrong boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pics! too bad i couldn't join you ladies! i think the metro rail is pretty clean, and i didn't get more colds than usual when i was riding it this winter. i was, however, witness to a young man who lit up a phat joint between stops one day on the blue line, har!