Thursday, June 08, 2006

Moodiness

I've been in a mood. It might be from lack of sleep for the past oh... 4 weeks, but I'm definitely cranky, bratty, gloomy and all around hating a lot. Especially at work. So at lunch, I went off to eat by myself and do some more writing. The type of writing where I drag out the dark thoughts and throw them on paper.
The beauty of this blog is that I've gotten all the random thoughts out of my head. I have another one where I chat about love and relationships with friends. But the darkest, most neurotic, and pathetically morbid thoughts that scare even me, those go in the private handwritten journal. No need to frighten the masses.
To cheer myself up, I hit up the Coffee Bean and strolled over to the Barnes and Nobles to pick up a couple of books, even though I still have about a dozen in my possession that I haven't read. I like to buy fleeting happiness, as my brother would say.
Picked up Cracks in My Foundation by Marian Keyes, The May Queen, and the latest Nick Hornby book, A Long Way Down. The first two were recommendations from friends and the Hornby book, well, it just looked interesting because it was about four different people who try to jump off a building on new year's eve and end up changing their minds.
The May Queen, a compilation of essays from famous women writing about life in their 30's, was placed in the women's studies section. I thought that was odd, but I guess it's because it's nonfiction essays? Anyway, curiosity nearly sucked me into all the feminist literature in that section. Classic titles like The Feminine Mystique, Backlash, The Beauty Myth.... I've always been fascinated by feminist theory, but to me it's a slippery slope. No need to make myself angry and jaded, on top of the gloominess!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm still thinking about having a bonfire bonanza at some point. wanna burn anything and have some dark thoughts turn into smoke? i may have to check out some of those books myself. buying books is a good kind of retail therapy!

Whatchamacalit said...

Happy to lend you some books if you want! Though buying them is indeed a joy. May have to take up your offer on burning stuff. Let me look around....

Anonymous said...

Think carefully before you burn stuff though..........when I moved out of my parents' house I burned my "dark" journals from my highschool days thinking it'd be cathartic and I still regret doing it. Oh well, live and learn. Who knows, maybe it WAS cathartic after all since I don't have any new "dark" journals to speak of.

Patty