Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day Part 2

I don't know when it happened but years ago, my family decided to avoid eating out for mother's day and father's day. Then we got lazy and avoided eating out for our weekend lunches too, opting instead to order take out dim sum or take out Shanghainese food. Today was no different.
After the cemetery visit, we headed home for lunch. My parents went to pick up Shanghainese food and boba drinks, while my brother and I went to pick up an ice-cream cake for Father's Day. I heard there was mention of ACTUALLY eating at the restaurant itself, but on account of the mega packed sports watching day, it was vetoed by the male half of the family.
So Father's day was another gluttonous afternoon of World Cup soccer, US Open golf, a fantastic BBQ at home, and then the NBA finals. Laundry was done, the Sunday paper was read, and I snuck in a luxurious nap in my parents air-conditioned living room during the golf watching. It's good to be home. And it's good to have my brother back home from Chicago, making us a family of four again - eating together, yelling at sports together and throwing pillows and wadded up paper napkins at each other.

No comments: