Thursday, June 08, 2006

Turning 30 - The Musical

Me@co got a bunch of free tickets to see this fantastic musical Tick Tick Boom. If you liked Rent, this is pretty much a prequel to it. Well, it's actually an autobiographical short musical about Jonathan Larson's life as a struggling playwright on the brink of turning 30.
The main character "Jon," feels the pressure of juggling career, love, and his dreams all while angsting about turning 30. Very apropos for our little group outing. The music, the style, the humor, and the lovely harmony echoes Rent on a smaller scale. And because I loved the musical Rent, this one held my attention with minimal daydreaming.
One of my favorite songs is "Therapy", where Jon and his girlfriend sing about miscommunication in their relationship, but in tongue twister format. Here are some of the lyrics:

JONATHAN:
What are you saying?
I'm saying I feel bad, that you feel bad
About me feeling bad, about you feeling bad
About what I said, about what you said
About me not being able to share a feeling

SUSAN:
If I thought that what you thought
Was that I hadn't thought about sharing my thoughts
Then my reaction to your reaction
To my reaction
Would have been more revealing

The other song I love? It's titled Sugar. It's literally an ode to sugar and all it's wonderfulness. How great is that?!! It's my song.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the therapy song was brilliant! that whole musical is a reminder that i need to get my shit together. glad you enjoyed the show. excellent restaurant choice, by the way. i wanna go back!