Saturday, October 07, 2006

Ankle Deep in the 30's

Miss Flip Flops told me that October 5th is the most common birthday around the world. New Years babies she called us. Apparently I share a birthday with the most people in the world, including Kate Winslet from Titanic, my death defying glacier climbing coworker, and the fiancee of a boy I once thought was The One. Go figure.

The past few years, I usually made sure to not be at work, out of the country, or at least out of town. This year, bogged down by work and little vacation time (and my boss's inopportunely timed vacation), I was unfortunately grounded here with only plans of getting ice cream. Let that be the last time I ever do that.

Birthday eve had me staying until 10pm, dealing with the crazy client, a couple of artists melting down, and a near breakdown myself. Birthday morning, grouchy as all hell, I got up at 7 to get in to work by 8am to deal with more crazy client, burnt out artists, and insensitive clods. I nearly burst into tears when Mom called, wondering if I was enjoying my day off somewhere and having a nice day.

By the time it was nearly 7, I realized I had been there for 11 hours, I had had enough and dammit, it was my birthday. And courtesy of the lovely Sly, there was homemade chicken noodle soup to be had. As it has been the theme of late, I burst into tears in the car as I drove off.

The only thing that saved this birthday from being the worst one of all time, was all the continuous wonderful phone calls, emails, cards, gifts, and friends and family throughout the week. And at the end of the night after Sly and I had finished our ice cream at Baskin Robbins, me@co, Clancy, Homey, and Kinemagirl made the effort to stop by and have an ice cream with me. It warmed my heart and erased some of the awfulness of work... at least until I had to go back again the next day.

3 comments:

me said...

i love you, dear! i'm sorry your birthday was 80% bad. we all love you lots though. remember that! we love celebrating your arrival into the world (your first step into making your way into our lives).

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! I'd have dragged you away from work as a gift to you, but you probably would have called security.

Anyway, welcome to your 30's. You're almost caught up to me, now.

Anonymous said...

everytime i have a bad b-day you have a bad b-day too! sorry, i kicked it off... i will try to do better next year...

Miss Flip Flop