Monday, October 09, 2006

"Mom" Clean

After over a year of not visiting, my parents decided to slum it and visit me at my hole of an apartment and visit the Getty Villa for my birthday. Since I'd had no time to really give my apartment a good scrubbing the past couple months (nor did I want to), I decided to bite the bullet Saturday morning and called several cleaning companies until one could fit me in that day.

One company managed to squeeze in an hour and a half and prioritized scrubbing my kitchen and bathroom. I explained the situation. My parents are coming by tomorrow. This place needs to be "mom" clean. I overpaid of course, but I figure it was a birthday present to myself. Well, that and the two pairs of very cute shoes I bought over the weekend.

Come Sunday, parents showed up and marvelled at still, how small my apartment was and how much stuff I had. I had to say it. I had to tell them "look how clean my place is!!!" But 15 minutes later, my mom was scouring my rice cooker. "Look how filthy this is!" as she picked out crusty old rice bits with a toothpick. Then she started on the pan. "You can't use this pan. The teflon is coming off. You'll poison yourself."

"But it's my only pan!" I protested. "We'll get you a new one." she affirmed.

Before she could continue cleaning every kitchen appliance of mine, we dragged her out and headed for the Getty in Malibu. The last time we saw it, I was possibly in high school. Or maybe college. I don't remember. I'm getting senile in my old age.

Anyway, the Getty Villa would be the opposite size of my apartment. I long for the giant wading pool/fountain in the front. And though I don't like pomegranates, I love this pomegranate tree full of fruit that looks like onions.




After spending about 2 hours viewing all the Greek, Roman, and Etruscan art featured at the museum, not to mention reading all the mythology that accompanied each piece, my favorite quote inscribed on the wall of The Enduring Myth: The Tragedy of Hippolytos and Phaidra exhibition was this:
"I shall never get my fill of hating women... Their evil is eternal."

1 comment:

me said...

i think i might borrow your quote for my email signature if you don't mind...