Monday, October 16, 2006

It's A Small World After All

This weekend, my friend, the ballet dancer, attended a birthday party for some people she knew through her boyfriend. When she scoured the Evite the week before, she saw a name that seemed strangely familiar. Mr. DD.

Of course, luck would have it that the ballet dancer answered the door when Mr. DD arrived. She politely introduced herself, feeling like she already knew him so well. Of course, like a heat seeking missile, she would have sought him out anyway, after asking the hostess to point him out if he ever showed up. (Never underestimate the power of a protective girl friend.)

She introduced herself, asked where he worked and said "Oh, do you know Whatchamacalit? She's one of my VERY good friends and we used to work together at the mouse-eared company." Though she was perfectly friendly with him, offering him food and chatting with him for a bit, her boyfriend claimed that she "pounced on him like a shark." He didn't stay for very long.

Apparently, the hostess, who only knew Mr. DD through her husband's mutual friends, did not think highly of him and confessed to the ballet dancer that they always thought he was hiding in the closet and gay. I'm fairly confident he's not, but boy, I could not stop laughing or wipe the idiotic grin off my face for a good 5 minutes after I got the voice mail from the ballet dancer.

Soooooo cheap, but it feels sooooooo good...

The hostess also complained to the ballet dancer that he didn't seem to know how to treat women very well and lacked social graces, completely oblivious to someone's birthday and refusing to move from a seat at the center of table for the guest of honor. Yup, that would be my emotionally stunted and socially awkward Mr. DD.

I don't feel so crazy anymore. He's not my Chicken Boo and I'm not the only one who was treated badly or befuddled or knows he's not THAT much of a nice guy. My ballet dancer friend has brought me some closure and boy do I love her for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I don't know Chicken Boo, but closure is good. Having our perspectives understood, even just a little, often seems to help for some reason. I guess it provides a sense of certainty.