Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Easy Listening Music

Last night, SC Homey scored some free center orchestra seats at the Walt Disney Hall for songwriter Burt Bacharach. AND since Acura was sponsoring the event, those whose drove Acuras could park free. Wheeeeee! Did I mention the good folks at Acura also provided free desserts from Patina afterwards? Not bad for a plain ole Tuesday night.

We were by far some of the youngest people in the crowd of gray hairs. Though I wasn't familiar with Mr. Bacharach, I love going to the Disney hall for its beautiful acoustics and architecture. I can't pass up a live concert at such a wonderful venue.

OK, I have to admit, I slept through two of the slower more unfamiliar songs but my catnaps left me quite refreshed. To my pleasant surprise, I also recognized about half the songs which threw me down memory lane.

"Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" is one of the first songs I can remember as a kid, when I used to carry around a yellow windup music box toy with rotating ducks and a plastic handle. My mom sang that song for me though after the phrase "raindrops keep falling on my head" we were out.

There was also "Say A Little Prayer," "What The World Needs Now Is Love," "That's What Friends Are For," "What's Up Pussy Cat?" and "Arthur's Theme," that song about being caught between the moon and New York City. (huh???) Of course, I don't remember hearing any of these songs when they first came out. In fact, I think I heard the Pussy Cat song with a cartoon, "What The World Needs Now Is Love" during Forrest Gump, and the "Say A Little Prayer Song" in the romantic comedy My Best Friend's Wedding. I'm guessing his music, though charming and slightly sappy, will continue to entertain future generations - and they will have their own memories of when they first heard those songs. I'm wondering if anything I'm listening to these days on KROQ will become classics like Mr. Bacharach's songs. Hmmmmm....

Anyway, my first thought was "wow, I can't wait to tell my parents about the concert and make them jealous!" But then it was followed immediately by "this would be an awesome birthday or Christmas or Father's Day/Mother's Day gift for them next year!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny how refreshing those naps can be; maybe it was the music that helped. :-)

Oh, and I remember claiming "Raindrops ... " as my favorite song when I was in kindergarten. It's embarrassing to admit.

Whatchamacalit said...

Not embarrasing at all! It's a great song and sure to be other 5 year olds' favorite song for years to come. We just already had good taste in music back then. ;)