Thursday, June 07, 2007

Milking The Premium Channels For All They're Worth

Have I mentioned how much I hate the Time Warner Cable Service and their monopolies on television? I used to pay ten dollars a month just to get basic service for my local 13 channels. As if that wasn't highway robbery enough, once Time Warner bought out Comcast and Adelphia, they forced everyone to upgrade to basic cable for forty-five dollars a month or suffer the fate of bunny ear antennas and fuzzy reception. What happened to the days of free and clear TV of yore?

Because I could not bear to deprive my Tivo of its glorious recording capabilities and brand spanking new TV of its hi-resolution potential, I sucked it up and continued to pay. I stay on hold for over an hour with customer service to log my complaints and get refunds when the service goes down. I send them emails complaining of their crappy services and policies. And the lovely thing is, they sometimes set it right by crediting my money back or in my case giving me six months free of premium channels.

I think that's how they get you. It's like drugs. Now that I have HBO, Showtime, and TMC, I don't know if I want to give it up. This whole On demand thing is brilliant. And the shows they're airing on cable these days far surpass many network shows and feature films at the theater.

My six months free is nearly up, so as I teeter on the fence of practicality and thriftiness versus indulgence and lunacy, I've been recording every movie I can get my hands on, every movie I ever remotely wanted to rent or watch if it happened to be free and landed squarely on my lap as I sat there bored with nothing else in the world to do.

Last night, I watched half of The Lake House, which I already saw a while back and made me weep yet again. I followed that up with She's The Man, a modern remake of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Now I am a SUCKER for any modern remake of classics. Clueless. Loved It. Ten Things I Hate About You. One of my favorites. She's All That. Pygmalion story never grows old. I actually laughed so hard and so loudly at She's The Man, that any person who happened to pass by my apartment at that time must have thought a crazy retarded person lived there. It was that funny and cute. I may need to watch that one again.

Finally, I watched Just My Luck, in which Lindsay Lohan actually reminds me that she's a cute adorable girl who can act and oozes charisma. The whole luck thing was very appropriate for my recent entry and I love the idea of karma and balance in the world.

There's ten more movies beckoning to me in the next week or so. The farewell to premium channels never felt so sweet.

No comments: