Thursday, June 21, 2007

Going Back to Basics

My six months of free HBO and Showtime ran out last month and after eyeing the nearly $100 dollar statement that showed up yesterday I called up Time Warner cable to downgrade. At first I was only planning to cancel the premium service, but then I noticed something. For ten bucks, I could have the broadcast basic service, which means I basically pay them to have clear reception of what I remember we had free as kids - channels one through thirteen.

Paying ten bucks for basic service isn't the issue. I was already doing that for years with Comcast. The issue is that when Time Warner bought out Comcast about six months ago, and forced digital cable on me, their brochures said they were getting rid of the broadcast basic service. When I called to complain, instead of telling me that THEY WERE LYING, they apologized and offered a bunch of discounts and free six month premium service. It was still twenty dollars more a month but I really really did not want to resort to bunny ears.

Now that this option was back, or perhaps had always been there and I had just been hoodwinked, I decided to go cold turkey and give it all back. Go ahead and take back that fancy digital receiver. So long On Demand! Bye Bye Cartoon Network!

"You know, you'll only get channels two through thirty," the rep cautiously warned me, as if I were renouncing all modern technology and joining the Amish.
"Yup," I answered. "That's what I had before Time Warner came along. I'll be fine!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

me said...

m.c.'s friend recommends you threaten to switch to satellite in another six months to get free cable =).