Thursday, June 07, 2007

My Book Club of One

One day, I'd like to be in a book club. It would force me to be disciplined enough to read consistently, discuss things other than celebrity gossip, friend gossip, or movies, and provide quality social time with other like-minded friends.

I recently finished a hilarious book one of my old college roommates (the cute little quiet one who also loves books) lent me last year. Jennifer Weiner's "Goodnight Nobody." One of our other roommates called her "Sweets" - though Sweets certainly possesses a wicked (sometimes dirty) sense of humor also found often in her choice of books.

This book is probably classified as chick lit since the main character still angsts over her first love, but it has a murder mystery thrown in it, along with a well crafted and thoughtful look at being a grown up. And by grown-up I mean, getting married, having kids, moving to suburbia, mourning the loss of a career and juggling a meaningful relationship with your single friends.

Jennifer Weiner is a funny and intelligent writer. Even though I can't relate to her other books about having kids, marriage crises, and the like, I will probably seek out some of her other books for a read.

My favorite part of the book? The protagonist's best friend tries to get the guy who broke her friend's heart deported. Ah, a story point and best friend clearly after my own heart.

When Sweets moves back to LA, we may have to start our own book club, though she'll probably read circles around me and pick up more meaningful intelligent scifi/fantasy novels. I used to read that stuff before my attention span got whittled down to the size of a goldfish's brain. Maybe we'll have to alternate the scifi/fantasy/grown up stuff with my graphic novels, children's books, and chick lit. It'll be one awesome book club.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can find an existing book club just like that.

me said...

you should read "in her shoes." it's infinitely better than the movie.