Sunday, June 24, 2007

Rockin Out With the Old Folks

Back in March, I forked out an obscene amount of money for the first and only show for the Police reunion tour in LA, at Dodgers stadium. It was so expensive, it physically hurt but I thought "hey, once in a lifetime opportunity!"

Everyone told me to sell the tickets on Ebay, use the profit to finance my trip to Africa. I waffled and weeks later, they added two more arena dates in LA. By the time I decided I could live without seeing the Police play live and tried selling the tickets for face value, it was too late. People were selling below cost! Luckily, my good ole college roommate, the singer, agreed to go, making it so appropriate since I had also seen Sting in concert twice with her years ago.

The concert was scheduled to start on Saturday at 6:30. We figured we could miss part of the first opening band and just watch Foo Fighters and Police. I left home at 5:30 to meet up with her and leave one of our cars. At 6:30, I managed to crawl through about 17 miles of traffic to meet her in Los Feliz. Leaving a little before 7, we inched forward to the stadium, a mere 5 miles away, at 2 miles an hour.

By the time we were at the base of the hill, I had to go to the bathroom so badly, I was near tears. Guys were leaping out of their respective cars and running up the hill to pee in the bushes or behind trees as traffic came to a near standstill trying to get into the parking lot. I briefly contemplated running up the hill too but realized it could only end with me falling on my ass and rolling down the hill with my pants down. Not something I wanted to chance.

When I couldn't stand it any longer, I handed singer her ticket, jumped out of the car and ran up the hill all the way to the stadium, begging security to let me in for the bathroom. Of course there was a line. And it was close to 8:30 already. I squinted down at the stage and realized that Foo Fighters was nearly done with their set. ARGH!

By the time, singer and I met up at our awesome seats on the field, Foo Fighters wrapped up their last song, and we were left standing next to a whole lot of old smelly people, frazzled and astounded at how painful it had been to get in. I took the opportunity to take a picture of how close we were to the stage with my cell (my tiny cellphone camera has no zoom), but it doesn't do it justice. Took this 5 seconds before the lights went out and the show started.


When the band finally came on, I was brought back to my high school and college days, when I listened to their greatest hits CD so much that I broke the first one and had to buy another. Not only was it refreshing to be one of the younger folks in the crowds, it was amazing to see how great these guys were. The Police now, could blow any of the popular younger bands I've seen out of the water.

Stewart Copeland hit the drums with so much vigor and smiles, I wanted to make him my new drumming idol. Right up there with Dave Grohl, Larry Mullen Jr, and Taylor Hawkins. Andy Summers had some minor technical difficulties with his guitar so he had a perpetual scowl on his face, but Sting's beautiful voice singing and playing songs I never thought I'd get to hear live in my lifetime eased away most of the pre-concert trauma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I usually try to avoid concerts, but I did see Sting once while I was still in Florida. I do enjoy his music.