Monday, July 03, 2006

Not Learning the Moral of the Story



While I'm on the subject of movies tonight, I realize I'm still hopelessly stunted. I watched a silly movie recently - The Perfect Man with Heather Locklear and Hilary Duff. Heather plays the mom who is desperately seeking a man, so much so that she compromises everything. When each relationship inevitably ends disastrously, she picks up her family and moves to another town to start over. The lesson of course, is that both mother and daughter learn it's tougher and more rewarding to stick it out, face your fears, all that jazz...

I on the other hand, watched it amusedly and thought, "Genius! Running away and starting over sounds like a brilliant plan! Maybe I can do that!" Why torture yourself and stick around in a place where it's all bad memories and people you don't want to see?

Anyway, a better example is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It took me awhile to get around to watching it. The first time I watched it was with a boy I wanted to forget for a long time. The second time, with close girl friends. Every time I watch it, or parts of it, I love it even more. Every time I watch it, I think "I would like to do that. Erase the unhappy parts of my brain. That would be wonderful. I don't even care if I'm doomed to repeat the same mistakes. I just don't want to hurt or remember anymore."

Apparently, this is kinda why survivors of eating disorders don't disclose the methods they used when sharing their survival stories for inspiration. Instead of learning the lessons, people who are still sick will think "Aha! I never thought to use that method before!"

No comments: