Sunday, July 16, 2006

Shopping and Symmetry

Though I didn't hit Nordstrom at 7 am on the first day of the Anniversary Sale like my brother's girlfriend, I managed to pry myself out of bed at a somewhat decent time and brave the crowds Saturday. Oh boy, much money was spent on things to wear in which 99% of the world will never see. Heh heh...

I also succumbed to the latest trend of sunglasses and snatched up a pair of oversized round shades. I kinda feel like Nicole Ritchie which is neither a good nor bad thing.

I tried on pair after pair until one fit somewhat snugly. "It's not you," said the savvy saleslady. "Someone with a big head must have tried them on and warped them."

Unfortunately, being Asian, the bridge of my nose is not quite high enough for these glasses. So they rest on my cheekbones. "You have high cheekbones," said the same saleslady whom I would happily give my money to. "The round frames look cute on your face."

Researchers say a calibration for beauty is symmetry in the face. Most of the women considered to be universally appealing tend to have the most symmetry in their features. Though I've learned from supermodels Cindy Crawford and Heidi Klum to not point out my own flaws to most people, to my dismay, I think one of my ears is higher up than the other. I can tell because one side of the glasses sits on my ear snugly, while the other side floats slightly above my other ear. So I have these cool new sunglasses that are sitting crooked on my cheekbones on my wonderfully lopsided head. Sometimes, you really just gotta love shopping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mine, too! you should see the final results after the technician at the optometrist is done customizing them to my ears. they look kind of mashed up. thank god i'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

you all are totally not alone with the ears thing. it's something those technicians don't always notice, so i tell them straight out "my right ear is further back than my left ear" so they fix them proper, which is pretty much impossible.