Thursday, July 27, 2006

Things That Made Me Sad Today

Seeing the Ford Freestyle Commercial on NBC tonight. A family plays at the beach, hangs out together all day, then at the end of the day, the Dad steps out of the Ford Freestyle and thanks the Mom for inviting him along to hang out with the kids. He hugs the kids and says "See ya next weekend." An example of a healthy divorce, but when is divorce (with kids) ever not sad?

Reading this quote by Sheryl Crow in Us Weekly. "In many ways, it's like having part of your life amputated and you still have that phantom itch... I'll see something and I'll think, Oh, I gotta make sure Lance is hip to this band... Oh wait, that's not my life [anymore]." On being single after breaking up with fiance Lance Armstrong. Good metaphor. That's how I feel about people I've lost in my life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that commercial is so odd in that it speaks for our generation, huh?

sheryl crow's comment was so poignant, especially the "oh wait, that's not my life [anymore]."

Anonymous said...

The Ford Freestyle commercial made me angry. We don't need divorce in our commercials. If the marketing pin heads wanted to do something edgey, they should have shown a nice biracial or gay family in a FUNCTIONAL setting.

Anonymous said...

I can appreciate everyone's acceptance of the new Ford commercial, but in my estimation all it does is further downplay the significance of divorce on a family. The commercial makes light of the fact that they are divorced but amicable, yet really this is just a step towards accepting divorce on a broader scale, as part of the norm.

What's next?

Maybe the next commercial has her dropping off the ex-hubby and his 'life parter' comes rushing out of the house to meet him.

Maybe Ford should embrace realism in a more realistic way. Maybe mom drops off the ex-hubby, he hugs his pregnant teenage daughter, and his son sits nonchalantly in the van with a "Circle Jerks" shirt on and a mohawk.

Coming Soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm 20 years old and my parents announced this summer that they were getting a divorce after 35 years of marriage. I felt ashamed of our new family situation, but seeing this commercial made me feel like I had less to be embarrassed about. Cheesy--I know--but it's true.