Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sassy or Just Plain Crazy?

Sly was kind enough to host me@co, dd, and me for dinner and a movie last night. Though the house she's renting has more than its fair share of ginormous plants, we enjoyed a lovely dinner, dessert, and fun conversation. On a side note, unless someone is serving me a meal consisting solely of beans, I will never refuse a homecooked meal from friends.

For after dinner entertainment, Sly whipped out a popular Korean movie that none of us had seen. My Sassy Girl. Apparently, it broke records in Korea and Hong Kong back in 2001 for being so fresh, funny, and unconventional as a romantic comedy. And even more refreshing, it's based on an autobiographical blog of the writer's courtship with his nutty girlfriend.

I wouldn't say the girl is so much "sassy" as she is certifiably insane and abusive. In fact, while web researching, I discovered that an alternate title to this is "My Bizarre Girl," which is much more accurate. I don't want to ruin the movie with specifics, but the guy's an idiot for putting up with the abuse, and the girl needs some therapy. (I do, however, covet her perfectly beautiful long hair.) It's one of those movies that rambles all over the place in the middle but actually wraps everything up quite nicely. Dreamworks bought the rights to an American remake for a 2007 release, so I guess the movie has hit the big time.

I realized that I probably would have enjoyed this movie much more a few years back. When I was younger, less jaded, and willing to suspend disbelief for even the smallest speck of romantic possibility in any story.

No comments: