Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Oh Brother, Part 1

It took me awhile to digest all the new information from my brother. It's been awhile since my visit to Chicago, when on the second night, lying in the darkness, slowly drifting off to slumber, he asked me this question.

"Why is it that everyone's second question is always 'did you meet someone else?'"

"Well," I conjured, searching for the right words with the part of the brain still running its hamster wheel, "I think it's because that happens all the time. Human nature is inherently selfish, and most people don't want to be alone. I don't think they ever plan on something like that, but usually people need some sort of catalyst to end their relationships. Whether they end up with the new person or not, most people need a catalyst to help them realize that they want something else, or something more. If there's nothing majorly wrong in their current relationships, people find it hard to let go of that person in case there's nothing better out there. I've seen it happen so many times, to quite a few of my friends."

"Oh, OK, " he answered pensively, satisfied with my lengthy and wise sisterly explanation.
I let myself drift again, toward happy heavenly sleep, when five minutes later, he broke through the silence.

"Everything you just said. You're right. I met someone else."

No comments: