Monday, July 02, 2007

Childhood Nostalgia

I just finished weeping over a beautiful anime film titled "Only Yesterday." It's a Studio Ghibli film, one of the biggest and most successful Japanese anime studios that managed to get a distribution deal with the Mouse-eared company and enjoy some mainstream releases here in the US.

This particular film was never released here, but a coworker lent me his DVD from England (I heart Macs for having an awesome DVD player, able to play films from different region coded DVDs!). He promised me the ending made the film and I have to agree. It was thoughtful but slow throughout, or maybe I'm just tired from the weekend. It flows like a short novel - anadult's memoirs about her childhood and where she is now in terms of achieving her dreams. Something I can definitely relate to as I've ruminated over this a lot the past couple years.

You bounce back and forth between bittersweet nostalgia and hope for the future. You remember how important certain things were to you as a child and pivotal turning points in your life - some barely noticeable to adults and people around you but monumental in shaping how you see things as an adult. The film captured all of that so well and by the time the heroine wraps up her journey, tears were just uncontrollably streaming down my face.

Yup, it's a Monday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Sounds good. Now if only I can borrow that movie from someone. And a Mac.