Saturday, July 21, 2007

Oh Brother, Part 5

There is this wonderful McDonald's commercial from the 1980's called "Little Sister" which I cannot find though I scoured the internet for it. It pretty much sums up why I've always longed for an older brother, the idea of someone other than your dad watching out for you and protecting you throughout your childhood and then some. As much as I can't imagine life without my younger brother, I had always yearned for a big brother. So much so that when my parents asked me at age three, what I'd prefer from her pregnant belly, I requested an older brother.

As a shy, small kid who got picked on a lot, I pinned my hopes on finding a big brother to take care of me. Hey, it was better than a superhero right? At least my dreams were halfway realistic.

Anyway, 3 decades later, I've learned to somewhat take care of myself, or at least surround myself with a whole bunch of caring and tough friends. And the closest thing I have to a big brother is one of my old bosses from the mouse-eared company, who to this day seems to be able to read my thoughts and every facial twitch I make. Scary.

Instead of the foresight I could have had with men by observing a big brother's advice and dating habits, I have 20/20 hindsight from watching my younger brother's foibles and sometimes questionable rationale. When he got to junior high and I was in high school, I saw him and thought "Ah, now I get it! Why did I even bother liking boys?" When he got to high school, and I graduated on to college, it struck me in the head again. "Oh my god, they were still that immature at that age?! Sheesh. Why do I still bother liking boys?" Post college, post twenties, post heartbreak... I still look at him and wonder the same thing. If anything, I feel slightly better and encouraged. Maybe one day, it'll all catch up. Maybe one day, the hindsight will become foresight as I watch him grow up and become the awesome person I know he'll be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny that you asked your parents for an older brother! I'd offer my services, but looking out for you is a little tricky at this distance.

Whatchamacalit said...

Loofa, guess you'll just have to move down here! Thanks for the offer anyway. :)

misocrazy said...

Hah, when I was a kid, I asked for a twin. That sounds narcissistic, but it was just because I didn't think I could relate to other people in my own family so well.

Big brothers are hit and miss. I should know, I have two. ;)