Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Oh Brother, Part 3

"You have to tell her yourself." I told him. It was the only thing as his sister, as a fellow girl, that I could offer to his ex. Straightforward honesty. The courtesy and respect of finding out firsthand that her ex was already dating someone new, instead of hearing it second or third hand, especially so soon after the break-up. It would kill all hope of reconciliation - being cruel to be kind.

I believe in him strongly enough that he wouldn't cheat on his girlfriend, but I swear the boy was probably single for what? A day? A week? So much for having both their adult children still single. Yes Mom and Dad, it's still just me.

Anyway, my brother looked at me incredulously as we finished off our frozen custard on my last day there in Chicago.

"Why?!"

"Because it would suck to hear it from someone else. "

"I don't care if she hears it from someone else."

"It's like that game telephone. The story might get mangled. She might think you were cheating on her. She needs to hear it straight from you. Out of respect for your eight year relationship."

"Then I just won't tell any of my LA friends."

"Yeeeeeah, that's a plan. Is she going to your friend's wedding?"

"God, I hope not."

"What if she does? She's their friend too. You guys were together when you were both invited."

"Then I won't go!"

"You can't do that! You're in the wedding!"

No comments: